Saturday, March 08, 2008

We Have Joy *

JJ and I had the most wonderful time in Paris. Not sure that either of us has ever done so much walking before. Well, not since we were last in Paris.

Previous visits to this city have seen me merely gasping in awe at the beauty of the city and the exterior of the buildings. This time, however, we made sure that we actually went into a building or two, apart from the odd bar and restaurant of course. Add to this was a discovery of places and parts of the city which I/we had never seen before.

A view of Paris from the steps of the Sacre Coeur is simply stunning. But equally as stunning is the inside of the basillica itself, with its unbelievably beautiful mosaics and stained glass windows. Then, after having previously discussed whether to take a trip to the Pere Lachais cemetery, we instead decided to visit the Cimetiere de Montmartre - and we were well happy that we did so. Graves of Zola (well, a monument was visited as his body has since been moved elsewhere), Nijinsky, Berlioz, Offenbach (who he, I wondered, before JJ informed me that he composed the Can Can)and many other famous people we had never heard of. The cemetery itself is a beautiful sight, cut into an old quarry. Some people find cemeteries romantic, so, if you are one such person, then this should be a must when you next visit Paris.

Then it was on to the architectural beauty of the Passages Couverts, a series of glass-covered passageways which have largely remained untouched since being completed in the first half of the 19th century.

And, after all that, it was then on to the Musee d'Orsay and, well, fuck me, wow and various other exclamations. A beautiful building both inside and out, this former railway station houses some cracking art. Visit and see for yourself.

Then, a nice couple of drinks followed by a really disappointing meal, which certainly did not spoil a beautiful day.

Be back to this with a bit more later maybe. Maybe mention the free champagne and wine on the way there. And maybe the perfect location of the hotel, situated as it was just north of the Sacre Coeur. But, then again, maybe not. I may just leave the rest for JJ to describe.

* Killing Joke

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger ©gloop said...

That sounds great. It cheers me up reading about you two enjoying each other's company so much.

May it continue.

11:24 pm  
Blogger timesnewroman said...

You lucky lucky bastards!

8:45 am  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

How much did the Parisian Tourist Bureau pay you to say this stuff and next question, why didn't you pop the question to JJ? You know you were meant for each other.

10:18 am  
Blogger Martin said...

My kind of weekend.In fact it's not far off what I did a couple of years ago.Same museum but I visited both cemetaries, and isn't Paris just great for walking round?

What did you do at night? Or is that too personal a question?

12:59 pm  
Blogger Lisa Rullsenberg said...

We stayed near Montmartre for a short break about 13 years ago so the Sacre Couer has fond memories for me (ah, Amelie!). Glad you so enjoyed The D'Orsay too - I do love that place. What a space!

A recommendation for next time if you like grave looking (I know I do!) is the one at Montparnasse: a bit more off the beaten track but likely to be less busy for that. Montparnasse contains such luminaries as de Beauvoir and Satre, Baudelaire, Baudrillard (I wonder if he thinks death is not real?), Sam Beckett and my personal favourite, Man Ray [whose grave reads 'Unconcerned but not indifferent']

2:32 pm  
Blogger a r d e e said...

Oh Alex, how can I forget Paris? The husband and I spent our first year anniversary with the French Flu in our Paris hotel room.

Otherwise, we too had the best times of our lives.

Ardee's back! =)

Long time no hear!

6:41 am  
Blogger Martin said...

Ah! Thanks Lisa, Montparnasse not Montmartre. That's the other one I visited by Metro.It's got Brancusi's "Kiss" sculpture (not of Gene Simmons,that would be inappropriate).

9:35 am  
Blogger Reidski said...

Steve - yes, it was great. And very humbled about your comments regarding JJ and I enjoying each other's company.

TNR - yes, we were. But that is soooo last week!

YP - didn't pop the question because I, being an old commie tosser, think that marriage is a borgeois institution!

Martin - yes, brilliant city to walk around. At night, we walked up the very steep six flights to our bedroom and crashed out - hee hee!


Lisa - will need to keep Montparnasse in mind for next time. Can't say I'd be too impressed with the likes of de Beauvoir and Sartre, though.

Chew a Horn - who is this "Alex"? There are no Alexs on this blog, only a Reidski - no kidding, by the way. Pity about the flu that time!

Martin - err, whatever!

5:01 pm  
Blogger The Fatalist said...

I used to totally hate the French, with a 'passion' I saved for the Germans!
But then I actually went to Paris in 2004....and discovered Red Star '93; & later became good friends with a Belgian PSG fan, from Belgium!
I now actually quite like the city. I lie! It's wonderful. But old habits die hard. When people ask me about Paris, I merely say it's a great city wasted on the French!
I'm there in two weekends time.
Paris FC (3rd division) Friday night; Red Star (4th division) Saturday at 6.00pm; PSG in the French League Cup Final at the Stade de France two stops down the line from Red Star at 8.45pm; & a local 6th level match on the Sunday afternoon. I'll fit in a bit of touristy stuff in between! And a weekend living on cheap crepes from roadside stalls. Now that is a half decent weekend to look forward to wouldn't you agree? ;-)

6:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home