Saturday, February 23, 2008

Down All The Days *

Darren mentions Daniel Day-Lewis. Which means ... link to Millwall. Yes, the posh boy is a Lions fan and why not. In fact, I think he's got to be most famous Millwall fan. Sitting here wracking my brains and, no, can't think of anyone more famous than he. He hints that it was going down the Den and hanging round Deptford and New Cross that got him into acting here:
"At the age of nine or ten, when I first started following Millwall, I was already entering into a world that was fascinating to me and bore so little relation to the household that I came from. I suppose that kind of began it."

And, yes, of course he can be a right nutter when it comes to meticulous planning for a role:
"For Michael Mann's The Last of the Mohicans (1992), the actor was able to prepare for the role of James Fenimore Cooper's 18th-century hero Hawkeye by living off the land for six months, learning how to hunt, fish and skin animals."

So, nutter, but one of ours. Good luck tomorrow night Daniel ... err, I'm sure you do actually read this blog?

* The Pogues (and also the name of Christy Brown autobiography)

8 Comments:

Blogger Imposs1904 said...

I would never EVER pegged him for a Millwall fan.

Does that mean he based his My Left Foot character on Terry Hurlock?

No, wait up, his character in My Left Foot actually scored a goal at one point in the film.

Must have been someone else.

10:58 pm  
Blogger timesnewroman said...

Terry Hurlock, theres a blast from the past. I saw him debut for the huns in a Skol Cup game against Killie. Durty bastard he was.

10:34 am  
Blogger Reidski said...

Darren and TNR - Hurlock, his own team-mates were scared when he went anywhere near them. Yes, a real dirty bastard!

5:51 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the good luck message Reidski. I will be sure to thank you in my acceptance speech should I win later tonight. I could never have made it without you mate.

8:43 pm  
Blogger Imposs1904 said...

Daniel D-L,

before thanking Reidski in your acceptance speech tonight, could you please make a public apology for that risible piece of shite that was 'Gangs of New York'?

Thanks in advance.

Darren

11:49 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darren:
It was truly a piece of shite but DDL was still great in it. As far as his Millwall days, that explains a line in an early 1985 film in which he had a great part. 'My Beautiful Laundrette', in which he plays a gay ex-racist punker (terrific role for him there) and there's one line where he says something to his mates about not going to Millwall games lately (can't remember verbatim)

http://imdb.com/title/tt0091578/

2:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darren - All I can say in relation to that particular film "Mea culpa." I really was shite wasn't I??? :-)

8:28 am  
Blogger Reidski said...

Daniel - I'm so chuffed you took time out from your busy schedule to leave a comment on my humble blog. Btw, what the fuck is all that "Irish citizen and passport holder" shit I've been reading the last couple of days? You doing an Aiden McGeady? Oh, and you might have done a good job as that Butcher cunt in Gangs of New York, but what a crap film that was - embarrassing!

Marc - My Beautiful Launderette was a cracker. Not seen it in years, though.

10:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home