Sunday, December 24, 2006

Friday I'm In Love *

We had our Christmas together on Friday night, me and JJ, exchanging gifts (I will wear those tops, JJ, no doubt about it!), exchanging kisses and exchanging other things which others need not know about.

It has to be said that it was freezing cold in London on Friday evening, so, lucky for us, a table had been booked at this restaurant, which is only a 10-minute walk from my house. And a lovely restaurant it is. In fact, strange to think of such a nice restaurant on my doorstep when I haven't been in it for some years. In fact, so strange that, as I was telling JJ, I haven't actually been in it for around 16 years, so long that I was even a member of the Labour Party at the time. This I know for, as I walked in there those 16 years ago, my MP said hello, which rather impressed my rather easily impressed mum and dad, who were with my and my ex that evening. Not sure if she would have said hello had she known that my application to join the Communist Party was already in the post, but there we go. Ms Ruddock has been all over the place as our MP over the years (1987 I think when she was first elected) and I remember lobbying her at the time of the first Gulf War when we put it to her that newspaper reports suggested that Britain and the US were dropping or threatening to drop Agent Orange on Iraq. "Well, something has to be done," was the rather stupid response. But, hey, I digress.

So back to La Lanterna on Friday night and the lovely food, drink, staff ... and us two. We looked knockout, even if I say so myself, with JJ in her stunning new dress and me in my now-fitting suit (fitting now as I got the trousers taken in by a couple of inches after them slipping somewhat as a result of the new slimline Reidski of the last year or two.)

I had been tempted to go for the antipasti meats and cheeses as I had at my department lunch the previous day at another Italian restaurant (part of the same group as La Lanterna, btw), but, instead - and with the cold weather in mind - went for the totally gorgeous minestrone, while it was parma ham and melon for JJ. Then it was onto steaks - lamb for me and beef for JJ - and no room at the inn for desserts. But room aplenty there was for the accompanying Orvieto - what a lovely crisp wine that is - and amaretto to finish it off (with another coming courtesy of the house). Lovely, friendly staff - I reckon it won't be another 16 years before we visit again.

Then it was back to my gaff for wine and a listen to my fabby new Elvis Costello compilation (thanks JJ).

*The Cure

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Holly said...

Have a great Christmas Reidski!

2:57 pm  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

Exchanging other things? You mean like football cards? I'll swap you your Northampton midfielder for my Neil Lennon?
Merry Christmas Jock!

6:45 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

'I will wear those tops, JJ, no doubt about it..'

Would that be the Celtic or the Millwall strip??

Happy Christmas, y'all...here's to '07!

8:33 pm  
Blogger Reidski said...

Moo - thanks, and it must be said that you look so happy in that pic - nothing to do with that head beside you is it?

YP - I would definitely give her a Neil Lennon for Eoin Jess anyday, I hate Lennon! And thanks for your greetings and for making a visit to my stupid blog now and again.

marc - imagine the clash of colours in the bedroom that night, well, what could we do by the end of the match but swap shirts????? Cheers, matey!

12:53 am  
Blogger Holly said...

Reidski, its my very good friend heidi next to me in that photo, but thanks, its one of my favourite photos!

8:21 am  
Blogger J.J said...

I will give you practically anything darling - but NOT Eoin Jess! No way!!!

It was a lovely evening and I can't wait for thursday now.

9:39 pm  
Blogger Reidski said...

JJ - I can't believe the man is still playing. It seems like years ago when I saw Jess play for Scotland - in fact, it was bloody years ago, 1997 I think!

11:49 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that La Lanterna in Brockley?

I used to go there often for their chicken cacciatore.

3:47 pm  
Blogger Reidski said...

Skuds - yes, the same one. It really is fab! I've not yet had a pizza from there so don't know about their claim to serve the best ones in south London!

11:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home