Thursday, October 05, 2006

Things *

This is one of those "what I should be writing about posts" rather than one of those "what I am writing about posts". With me? No? Oh well, that's the only explanation you get.
Since I last wrote a long and meaningul (hey, who was the one at the back shouting "meaningless"?) post, I have been:

1. Having some wonderful times with JJ. We've been to the cinema to see some wonderful films - Volver, Little Miss Sunshine and Children of Men. All rather good in many different ways, but with the first two on a different level from the latter. Not to say that Children of Men wasn't a good film, but it had a major flaw. If you haven't seen it, I don't think I'll be giving the plot or the denouement away by saying this. The premise of the film is that the world in about 30 years time is on fire politically. Britain, meanwhile, is under a fascist government. Britain is also attracting lots of "illegal" immigrants who get rounded up and caged in camps. So my question is: why would you flee to an obviously fascist state? The film doesn't explain this and doesn't give the impression that anywhere else in the world is any better or worse. But, anyway, that apart, it was an enjoyable romp. I would recommend the other two before this one, however. And I may write about those reasons some other time.

2. Playing football and been disappointed that our time at our indoor five-a-side-venue has come to an end. It seems that the so-called "community centre" where we have our weekly games gets taken over by the University of London whenever it wants it as they helped fund its building. So we're fucked for a weekly game until next spring. We do, however, have a game coming up on Monday at lunchtime against an overseas team. Our employers have very kindly given us the time off and putting on a bit of a do afterwards at a very nice pub. I'm looking forward to it.

3. Playing in our work's annual golf day tomorrow and, until looking at the weather forecast, I had been looking forward to it. But it will be pissing it down and I'll get soaked. My foursome won the tournament on our debut two years ago but we failed miserably last year. Hope the rain stops and we put on a good show. Btw, don't get the impression that I'm any good at the game - my best score going round a golf course is over 100.

4. Been meaning to blog about my past as a darts player, but I've just not got round to it. Believe it or not, I played for my local Masonic Lodge when I played and was once tipped as a future Scotland international player.

5. Following JJ's car troubles yesterday, we were sitting having a glass of wine when I happened to mention a few of my own (car troubles, that is, not glasses of wine) over the years. These included the police writing off one car and another packing up in the middle of France in the middle of nowhere in the middle of us wondering why we didn't, for the first time in 10 years, take out AA European breakdown cover. And another having its window broken and me hearing it and me chasing the two blokes who done it and me slowing down when I was catching up with them and noticing that one of them was about 6 feet 5 tall and quite bulky looking and then me shitting myself when I cornered him. One day, I may get round to expanding on these stories. The most epic being the holiday one, which also included phone calls home to find out someone close had a double heart attack, realising that neither of us had a drivers' license with us and realising that we were over 100 miles from holiday destination.

6. Been getting annoyed at bloggers (myself included) who take things too seriously. Listen up, folks, if you want to give it up, do so, just don't pretend you are just so you get people pleading with you not to stop. If you don't want to give up, then carry on and we'll continue to read them with delight. Equally annoying are those bloggers who have a blogging protocol or comments policy whatever the fuck they call it. If you don't like someone's comments, delete them. If you do, keep them on. And, if you do either, you really don't need to explain to anyone - we don't give a fuck!

7. Having some wonderful football-watching times with JJ. Yes, we went to the Den and saw her boys beat Millwall. And we were down the pub the other week there to watch Celtic put on a good display against ManUre. And we were donw the pub to watch Celtic humiliate the forces of darkness. And this weekend it will be a challenge as both England and Scotland kick off at 5pm. I have a feeling we shall be at different parts of the pub as one tele will have the sassenachs and other will be showing Scotland play France. We'll see.

8. Been wanting that computer, but things have came up that have made it not possible quite yet. But, here's hoping.

9. Going to buy some shopping now - JJ visits this weekend and she demands to be fed, watered and, well, you don't need to know the rest ...

UPDATE - after turning computer off and about to leave my old house, boy tells me that he isn't really comfortable being in the house on his own these days as a result of an incident which happened couple of weeks ago. Boy (in the house with a friend) hears knock on what he believes to be front door. He goes, no-one there but he sees some coppers hanging round the house three doors down and goes back inside. Hears another knock and friend says it is coming from the back of the house. They go out in the hallway and see a Chinese (yes, I know the ethnicity is irrelevant, but there we go) woman in the garden knocking at the window and pointing indoors. The boy, for some strange reason, opens the back door and woman stands there talking in Chinese (yes, I know there are many languages in China, but it's one of them, smartass!). The boy hasn't yet grasped his Chinese lessons yet, him being only 13, but realises the woman wants to come insider. The boy, for some strange reason, stands aside and let's her enter. The boy and his friend and the woman all just stand there and look at each other until the woman takes her shoes off. As she has just walked over three gardens, as all concerned were soon to find out, this is quite polite on her part. She then walks to the front door, makes some sort of wave as if to say "thank you" and walks toward to gate and goes in the opposite direction of her own house. Few minutes later, the boy's mum appears and finds the boys in a strange agitated state and with coppers really really really all over the house three doors down. The boy and his mum then inform the police what happened. The coppers say that's who they were hoping to talk to but thanks for letting them know anyway ( I secretly think they are a pair of coppers' narks, but, hey!). The boy, who has shown no signs over the last two years or so of having any problem being in on his own for an hour or so, ponders what has happened over the next few days and the next time he is in on his own .... he doesn't like it. I suppose he is only 13 and, legally, he really shouldn't be on his own. At least it gives me time to put a postcript on this stupid post. Oh, by the way, this is the second time in about six months he has let an unknown female pass through the house from the back (and, important to say, enclosed) garden. But the last time, there were no cops involved, but the boy did say she was "the local mad woman" - so that's alright then!!


* Robbie Williams

17 Comments:

Blogger J.J said...

Yes, you really should blog about these things - especially the car stories - oh, and the darts. Great yarns :-)

9:15 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the round up of your sporting appearances, but why no mention of your participation in the badminton tournament? Oh well, I will then. Reidski is taking part in a badminton tournament with seven friends from work: four teams of two. His team has not won a game yet.

1:03 pm  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

I'm looking forward to the story of the chase and the six foot five criminal prey.
"Yeah! Can I help you squirt?"
"N-n-no, I-I-I mean y-y-yes!" blurted Reidski. "Would you like my wallet?"
"Ta very much Jock! Now scram!"

As John Lennon sang - "Imagine no possessions, it's easy if you try..."

4:03 pm  
Blogger Imposs1904 said...

You look too thin to have been a dart player.

5:51 am  
Blogger Nat said...

What's a blogging protocol?

Is it like my 'blogging protocol' which states (only in my own head, obviously) that "Natalie shalt not blog unless she hath done something incredibly stupid which may amuse a couple of folks from back home (notably her mother)"?

I'm confused. Again!

10:14 am  
Blogger Reidski said...

JJ - yes, yarns and yawns, that's all they are!

messalina - shut it, no-one wants to know about my defeats, only my glorious victories (err, when do they happen?).

YP - ditto on the shut-it front.

Darren - and I'm even thinner now. And don't ever revert to stereotyping. Do you really think ALL darts players look like John Lowe, Jocky Wilson or Leighton Rees? Err, actually, now that I come to think about it, you're right.

Nat - it's those people (twats) who explain what their blog is and who they will or will not allow to comment on it and who get all wound up when someone has the temerity to disagree with them. And don't be confused, no need to be!

12:28 pm  
Blogger timesnewroman said...

Did you have to roll your trouser leg up when playing darts? We need to know.

12:05 pm  
Blogger Martin said...

The next series of "Superstars" can't come quickly enough.Get in there, Reidski!

9:36 am  
Blogger Reidski said...

Jim - and as for that goat?????

Martin - I WILL be the next Brian whatshisname? You know, that judo tosser who could do all those press-ups and shit....

11:07 am  
Blogger John said...

I trust point number 6 is not aimed at anyone in the immediate vicinity.

2:53 pm  
Blogger Martin said...

Brian Jacks.

Jody Sheckter cheated by dragging his feet on the squat thrusts and Jonah Barrington stormed off in ahuff.

tossers the lot of them

4:07 pm  
Blogger John said...

My favourite was the basketball match when one team decided its tactic would be to wind up Geoff Capes so that he'd "throw his weight around" and get sent off. Classic.

If only we'd been allowed to follow him on the beat for a day.

4:27 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reidski! Thanks for the explanation of TV listings. Much appreciated.

5:51 pm  
Blogger Reidski said...

John and Simon - you are so way off the mark on number 6. Now I feel I have offended you at my being offended by others. Let's move swiftly on.

Martin - yes, Brian Jacks. And, while I agree that they were all tossers, why did I watch it every week. And why do I always watch the World's Strongest Man programme which is on every year on or around December 27th? It couldn't be cos I'm a tosser to, could it?

John - that's funny, I forgot about that one!

Catherine - nae problem!

Simon - see above on one point. The person you mention is the only one who gets deleted from here. I don't really like to go into details, but let me just say her is obnoxious, arrogant, petty, rude and very aggressive in his passive sort of way. So no need for you to apologise in any way, my comments were aimed at bloggers who never look at my site - which is probably just as well for all concerned!

8:44 am  
Blogger Holly said...

That Duffer better not appear on my blog again, otherwise I'll bloody have him. Thats all I got to say on the matter!

1:06 pm  
Blogger Holly said...

You've been tagged Reidski!

2:00 pm  
Blogger Reidski said...

Simon - I just go along assuming I'm upsetting people all the time. That way, it's a bonus when I'm nice!

Moo - no comment on that person and anyone else makes comment about that person on this blog and it gets deleted! And thanks for the tag thingy, I'll try to get around to it sometime this year.

2:49 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home