Friday, July 21, 2006

I Don't Care *

Reidski had a few beers this afternoon. Afterwards, he turned up to his old house where son and loads and loads of son's friends were - "well, it's end of term, dad, and we always come back here at the end of the school year." It was stupendous and even the boy who made my little innocent one bunk off school recently was welcome. What a great bunch of kids they are. Anyway, my part in all this? Yes, you guessed it, I slept for a good few hours. Then, unfortunately for the kids, I got on the decks. Here's what they had to put up with:

Bring On The Dancing Horses - Echo and the Bunnymen
Let's Build A Car - Swell Maps
Part Time Punks - Television Personalities
Never Been In A Riot - The Mekons
Jocko Homo - Devo
Whip It - Devo
I Know It's Over - The Smiths
Hounds of Love - Futureheads
Clint Eastwood - Gorrillaz
Thank U Fur Lettin Me By Mice Elf Again - Sly and the Family Stone
Panic - The Smiths
Tainted Love - Soft Cell
Tomorrow's Girls - Uk Subs
Boy Named Sue - Johnny Cash

I think that's a quite good selection, but 13 year olds don't think so as most of them have gone home ---- thank fuck for that!!!!!!


* A House - Lisa reminded me this week about one of the greatest albums ever. Well, songs such as the one mentioned, You're Too Young, Cotton Pickers, Take It Easy On Me, Creatures of Craze? Everyone, go out today and buy I Am The Greatest by A House, you won't be disappointed!

11 Comments:

Blogger Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Any selection including Devo "Whip it" is alright by me...

11:10 pm  
Blogger Reidski said...

And I've just followed up that selection with Teenage Fanclub and Everything Flows and The Jam and But I'm Different Now and, well, more Teenage Fanclub ...

11:28 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No Pink Floyd in memory of Syd???

12:52 am  
Blogger Reidski said...

lisa - Devo were a truly fantastic band. Heard about their new venture, which is getting young kids to sing Devo songs? Weird or what? There was a time when we all thought The Residents were actually Devo - but they weren't!!

Marc - listened to Relics the other day there. It's got some classic Syd stuff on it!

1:26 pm  
Blogger Imposs1904 said...

Sorry,

Not trying to be controversial but I never really got Devo. And, trust me , I tried. Maybe you had to be around at the time, to appreciate them but the music hasn't aged well, and nine times out of ten, 'whackyiness' and music never mix.

Part of the reason Talking Heads also always got on my nerves.

BTW, this week's tip from me is a six piece band out of Austin, Texas called 'Sound Team'. Their single 'Your Eyes Are Liars' is particularly fine.

Cheers

5:46 am  
Blogger Reidski said...

Darren - nothing controversial there. It's just that we are right and you are wrong. Tee hee!
And it certainly was not all whackiness with Devo - great lyrics and great music went along with the plant pot hats and the weird glasses and work dungarees.
Rage Against The Machine done an amazing and unrecognisable cover version of Devo's Beautiful World on their album of covers Renegades. I had been listening to that album for about a year before I found out by accident that the song in question was Devo's.
And, on the subject of music, Gang of Four playing i London in late August - I should go really!!

12:42 pm  
Blogger Holly said...

whats going on?! No posts for ages, you're as bad as Voroshilov!

12:55 pm  
Blogger Nat said...

Trashcan Sinatras are playing the Oxford hotel on Sunday. Shaz and I will be there with our beers.

Any messages you would like to pass on?

N x

6:39 am  
Blogger Reidski said...

Moo, I'm back!

Nat, the singer will probably be the only one who remembers me, so just say "Alex from Irvine says hello". He'll then say, "who's Alex". You'll then say, "the commie who was mates with Gary Lindsay and Jim Barr". He'll then say, "what, that tosser? How do you know him?" You'll say ... erm, not sure what you'll say, but think of something! No, I've got it, say you're my daughter :-)

9:45 pm  
Blogger Nat said...

I'm too old to be your daughter though?

7:48 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. I was looking for the lyrics to "I don't care" and came across your blog. I also recommend A House's album "I Want Too Much". Imo, it's even better!

8:57 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home