Thursday, March 16, 2006

Let's Go To The Pictures *

As I commented elsewhere, the closing 10 minutes or so of the five-a-side football on Tuesday saw me flat out, gasping for breath, hardly able to do much more running, so I resorted to kicking and barging my way into the opposition players. At this stage, I'm thinking that I'm knackered as a result of fellow players being rubbish and giving me no back up whatsover. I'm playing up front and, while the ball from keeper finds me just about every time, no-one is following up to accept the ball from me so this means I'm doing all the work in taking on the oppisition defence on my own and banging the shots in time after time after time. I score our only goal - for the second game in a row - but, in a 6-1 defeat and a ratio of shots to goals of around 20:1 it's pretty pish from me, even if ill. So, anyway, I'm not well after the game and go straight to bed and get a lot worse as the night wears on. But up I get in the morning cos I have a date with Jane in the evening and there is no fucking way in hell I'm going to miss that just cos I have a bit of a runny nose. So I struggle through work and get on the train and get off the train and get what I've been missing and desperate to receive for a week - a kiss and a hug from my perfect friend.

Off to the cinema we go to see the utterly stupendous The Proposition. Lisa and Kev have already given us a run-down of this one, but only to say that it is an amazing work of film, great acting, superb direction, brilliant script from Nick Cave, beautifully evocative score, and some stupendous cinematography.

The night is rounded off with a glass of wine at what is becoming my favourite bar and then Jane drops me off at the station. I should say at this point that I'm thinking I'm spoiling her evening somewhat by my constant coughing - but, Jane being the perfectly nice person that she is, assures me that everything is fine!

As soon as I board the train, I'm missing her. Unfortunately, my mind is soon unable to have any thoughts about anything other than bad contemporary r 'n' b music - you know, the kind that has no resemblance to proper rhythm and blues but gets that description nevertheless - as the guy sitting behind me is listening to it on his phone. Fucking wanker! At least I get the chance to have a bit of a kip when he departs at Watford.

Eventually get home and into bed and the inevitable shakes and sweating start again. I have every intention of going to work in the morning, but, as dawn arrives, I decide that, as I can hardly talk and that every swallow feels like I'm drinking broken glass and that I'm sweating like I have just run a marathon, I'm not going to work after all. This is about only the second day off with illness I've had in my three and a half years in the job but I'm still feeling bit bad that I don't go in, but rather that than spreading my germs throughout the office, eh?

So I've seen some of the Commonwealth Games (with Scotland briefly heading the medals table after their success in the swimming pool) and then some cricket.

As the day has worn on, I've felt better and better. In fact, so good do I now feel that I've just put some music on - the amazing late great Kevin Coyne (Room Full of Fools). Whether I go to work tomorrow or not is, of course, another matter ...


* Wreckless Eric

14 Comments:

Blogger Martin said...

At least you turn up for footy. 3 weeks running we've had to combine our match with someone else because of no-shows due to it being a bit parky.
Soft northern bastards.

4:57 pm  
Blogger J.J said...

What a lot of links :-)

Thanks for coming to see me last night- though you must have been mental. You were NOT a well person.xx

7:41 pm  
Blogger cookie monster said...

mental for being ill AND coming to see you or just mental for coming to see you full stop?

11:29 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was worried about you yesterday but was sooo busy didn't have time to look at your blog for reassurance. Reassured now that you only have flu and have not been shagged to death ...

8:44 am  
Blogger Reidski said...

Martin, I usually refer to people living in Islington as soft northern bastards, but I see what you mean. It's so fucking irritating when people say they are definitely turning up for a match then drop out at the last minute for spurious reasons - i.e. "my cat ate the dog this morning so have to go home and comfort the mouse!"

Jane, I like those links, my particular favourite is the "not well" one. Come on readers, what is your favourite? Those choosing the most popular will be put into a prize draw amd the winner will receive a Reidski compiliation CD.

Cookie, interesting, can't wait to hear the answer to that one.

messaline, I WAS shagged to death but also suffering from extremely runny nose. Anyway, I'm one floor up from you as I write, so I'll come and say hello before I leave.

9:11 am  
Blogger Nat said...

Why does your running man have a stiffy?

Why are you back at work? You'll never get better if you don't allow yourself time to watch crap morning telly!

10:03 am  
Blogger J.J said...

cookie monster said...
mental for being ill AND coming to see you or just mental for coming to see you full stop?

Both. Very definitely both.

12:46 pm  
Blogger Holly said...

hope you feel better soon Reidski...oh I have to say your running man with a hard on is hilarious oh and I like the sweaty picture too!

2:46 pm  
Blogger Reidski said...

nat, running man has a stiffy cos he was based on a picture of me running to get Jane!

jane, I'm a perfectly sane and rational human being - I'm no mentalist!

moo, so all you can think about is either men who are erect or men who are sweating? You do have a dirty mind!

12:24 pm  
Blogger timesnewroman said...

I'm going for the wreckless eric link that you sneaked in at the end. That's not the reason why I popped over though. Predicition for today's score 7-0 would be appropriate d'ye think?

2:48 pm  
Blogger J.J said...

You've made me blush!

6:17 pm  
Blogger Holly said...

I'm only human after all Reidski!!

11:57 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm, The Proposition. What about the Irish accents? What about Danny Huston (great lineage, and he can sure pick a film, but can he really act well?)?
Bah, been a contrarian so long I'm beginning to dislike things I should like.

8:19 pm  
Blogger sameer said...

nice post thank for sharing this.
T20 World Cup 2020 Time Table
T20 World Cup 2020 Time Table PDF

6:14 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home