Thursday, November 25, 2004

If Music Could Talk

This is a great story.

This one has been annoying me not just for the last week - although my irritation has intensified beyond belief in the past few days - but ever since the imperialist machine decided that Zimbabwe was one of its next targets. The horribly misnamed Movement for Democratic Change - where did they hold their first series of press conference a few years ago? Try the Johannesburg stock exchange, the London Stock Exchange and Wall Street. So...obviously democratic, then!!

This is totally weird and I haven't yet made my mind up whether it is a piss take or not - but I fear that it isn't.

I understand that the Trashcan Sinatras are to appear on a free CD giveaway with the Guardian on Saturday. Good news for some of us, but not for this US-dwelling fan! If she asks kindly, I may buy two copies of this sickly liberal anti-union paper and send her a disc - we'll see.

I like the following joke, which was provided by Popbitch - yes, this is a brain-dead gossip e-mail service, but it never fails to bring a smile to my extremely grumpy face:
A man walks into a pub and orders a drink. While pouring the drink, the barman notices a scar right across his customer's neck. He asks where it came from, and with a hoarsevoice the man replies, "Falklands".
15 minutes later the barman approaches with a hat full of money, saying, "We've had a whip round, and this is a token of our appreciation for what you lads did for us out there."
The customer replies; "Muchas Gracias."

This reminds me of a mate/neighbour who I usually spend Sunday afternoons in the pub with, as our conversation revolves around "man walks into a pub" jokes. This invariably tend towards the "Man walks into a bar - he's still suffering from a sore head and bruising" variety. Or, how about: Horse walks into a pub and the barman says: "Why the long face?" Pure class!

While burning a couple of Trashcan CDs for a mate at work, I decided to make him a various artistes one of my own. I took some inspiration - and some of the songs - from a Jock 'n' Roll compiliation I received from The Scottish Patient (link on the sidebar - I cannot be bothered going into that link thing again). While said compilation was classy, I realised he left off some other Jock classics, such as The Blue Nile, Nyah Fearties, Camera Obscura, The Beta Band, The Delgados and, unforgivably, the Sensational Alex Harvey Band. Or, maybe they are lying in wait for Classic Scottish Pop Volume II and, if so, I apologise for giving the game away!

While Celtic should have been about 5-0 down to Barcelona after 20 minutes last night, it seems that my prediction of a complete gubbing didn't quite materialise - I am so glad about that!

I am starting to become irritated at the fact that so many of my sentences end with "!" !
Speak to y'all soon!

9 Comments:

Blogger Imposs1904 said...

Reidski wrote:

"I understand that the Trashcan Sinatras are to appear on a free CD giveaway with the Guardian on Saturday. Good news for some of us, but not for this US-dwelling fan! If she asks kindly, I may buy two copies of this sickly liberal anti-union paper and send her a disc - we'll see."

If you are doing requests, can I have the spare Saturday Guardian TV Guide if it is available? That's the best thing about the Guardian on a Saturday.

9:24 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, and can I have magazine, please, cos I like doing the puzzles (or trying to).

10:22 am  
Blogger Reidski said...

Whoa, take it easy, kids. Too many requests. And, the TV guide is the ONLY good thing about the Guardian.
I'll see what I can do on both fronts!

10:46 am  
Blogger Imposs1904 said...

Hey Reidski,

I'm only joking about the Guardian TV Guide. I get mines regularly every Saturday morning when I make a point of nicking a copy from the papers left outside my local newsagent by the distributor.

Bit harsh on the Guardian, btw, the Review section on a Saturday is not bad as well. I guess I'm more of a culture vulture than you ;-)

BTW - I watched a bit of Setana Celtic TV when I was up the road and they showed on freeview old footage of the 1974-75 League Cup final between Celtic and Hibs - the one where both Dixie Deans and Joe Harper scored hat tricks.

Two points from watching it:
1) It has to be shouted from the rooftops once again, what a majestic player Jimmy Johnstone was. Man Utd may have the nicer smile but Johnstone was something else - the way he glided past players. Just amazing.
2) The interview at the time of Dixie Deans and Billy McNeill after the game: They just looked so different from modern footballers. I don't just mean the mutton chops and the kipper ties (though they have made a come back); it's just that they look like a couple of blokes from a Sunday football team just out the showers. (Whereas, Camara plays like someone who is on the subs bench of a Sunday football team.)

11:33 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, and I don't really want the magazine. Know what you mean about exclamation marks, though!!!

2:26 pm  
Blogger Reidski said...

1. I wisnae gonnae gie yies the Guardian gear oanywise.

2. Jimmy Johnstone - I don't normally go in for all that bollocks of the old players being better and more entertaining than they are now, BUT!!!! I spent my formative years watching the likes of Jinky - he did everything you could ask from a footballer, because, erm, he did everything with a football. I have always had a thing for wingers, right enough, and Davie Provan and Johnny Doyle were also the type of players I loved watching. We are obviously looking back these days cos we have nothing in the team at the moment who come close to be regarded as great Celts. I remember waxing lyrically (or should that be drunkenly) over in Seville that the likes of Didier Agathe and Bobo Balde would, in years to come, be regarded as Paradise heroes, but the reality hasn't quite worked out that way. I've always thought Lennon to be overrated, Thompson loses the plot far too easily, Varga is lost at times and doesn't keep up with play, Hartson does one of two things - wins a free kick or gives one away - Valgaeren has lost what ever he had, Camara is a very bad joke and Juninho is a product of panic buying to meet the Euro signing deadline - that he has hardly featured in Europe is not to be ignored. We are not an improving side in any sense of the word - the boss has to bring in quality in January or else it is goodbye to UEFA Cup in the next round - if we get there - and gift the championship to the anti-democrats.

1:32 am  
Blogger timesnewroman said...

Wouldn't the guy with the scar have said Malvinas rather than Falklands?

6:23 pm  
Blogger Imposs1904 said...

Come on Reidski, don't keep the lady waiting with the promised CD featuring the TCS ;-)

You are only jealous because she is a bigger fan of the 'Sinatras than you ;-)

12:24 pm  
Blogger Reidski said...

Darren, you are sooooo right.
Ardeelee, you must e-mail me your home address - I did think about sending it to "the flat behind the taco restaurant that frank likes" but I don't think it would get there

12:47 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home