Thursday, October 28, 2004

The Pop Place

Had a great night out last night. Went to see Trashcan Sinatras, a great band from my home town. Had thought previously that as the Trashcans were in town, I would probably bump into another exile, who I only ever seem to see at their gigs in London. So, standing at the bar waiting for my Guiness to be poured, it was no surprise to see Gary Lindsay. We reminisced for a bit - and I just had to mention THAT night at my house - before watching a stupendous set by Frank, Davey and the lads. I've not managed to get my hands on their new album yet, but, as Gary said, you always know what you're going to get from Trashcans - quality! The new stuff does sound good.
I was sure that I spotted Tracyanne, singer from the excellent Camera Obscura, in the audience standing on her lonesome, but, believe it or not, the Reidski was far too shy to go up and talk to her.
Enjoyment at the Trashcans set was soured - only ever so slightly - by the news that Aberdeen had beaten Celtic, but certainly not enought to spoil the enjoyment at the music.
Had a nice beer and chat with the band afterwards. While I find it rather stranger to see people I have known for years - went to school with singer, worked with the bass player - sign autographs for fans from Japan, US, London and elsewhere, it doesn't surprise me because they are so fucking talented and good at what they do. Check this piece out for a taste of their global appeal.
I booked a day's leave today as a result of a visit from gas engineer to repair the hob - it's been out of action for a week. Before going on, I should mention that when reporting hob fault I also mentioned a minor fault with oven (which didn't stop it from working, by the way). Repair geezer turns up - at 7.30am, thus me wasting a day's leave which I didn't have to take - minus any spare parts for hob repair as they had only told him of oven fault. So, no change on the hob front (more roasts, take-aways and microwaveable meals for another eight days) and the oven working slightly better than it had done.
'er indoors and the boy are off to see her mither, so it's a two day pass on the town for Reidski.
A little domestic affair to deal with first - go buy guinea pig food and hay, tidy up a bit, do the dishes and all that stuff - then it's maybe a trip to the cinema and a 48-hour drinking session, only interrupted by a three-hour shift at work on Friday morning. I may even make a return visit to see Old Boy - a Korean (?) film I saw two weeks ago but missed the first 20 minutes as result of falling asleep during the trailers.

10 Comments:

Blogger timesnewroman said...

That's a bit common, using the song title from the band you are writing about!

thewife and I have tickets in our possession for next week and I am soooo looking forward to it. Also I am heading for Fopp tomorrow to get Weightlifting to acquaint ourselves a bit first.

Shyness pah.

By the way Aberdeen? 4 goals mmmm.

10:27 pm  
Blogger Reidski said...

What is the reference to 4 goals? I don't understand, so please explain.

11:48 pm  
Blogger timesnewroman said...

oops typo. The 3 and the 4 are too close together on the keyboard.

6:34 am  
Blogger Kevin Williamson said...

A top result from the sheep last week. Celtic have gone stale and everyone knows it. Their midfield is about as creative as a JCB. Their defence moves like treacle and has more leaks than Whitehall. Their young one hit "wunder" goally more hyped up than the new Band Aid single. I cant wait till the Hibees take them on at Parkhead in a coupla weeks. Anything the sheep can do...

1:12 pm  
Blogger Reidski said...

Without a doubt, Celtic are the worst team in the world - if Rangers do not hammer us this week, I will be very surprised! Novo for a hat-trick.

10:42 am  
Blogger Imposs1904 said...

Good thinking Reidski - if enough of us say out loud that Rangers are going to gub us then the greater likelihood we will get a result. ;-)

I'm not asking much - either a last minute controversial penalty that will be scored from the rebound after the goalie initially saves it, or a lucky deflection off a Rangers defender (maybe John Greig, if they will give him a one off sub appearance) in injury time.

3:02 pm  
Blogger Reidski said...

Sometimes I worry about you, Darren. You'll probably tell us that you don't walk under ladders and hate it when the 13th of the month falls on a Friday. Smell the coffee, man, we're pure utter shite and the huns are gonna gub us, by the way!

12:30 am  
Blogger Imposs1904 said...

Keep up the good work, Reidski. With that sort of impending doomsday scenario, we are sure to win 3-0 ;-)

BTW - is it not about time you updated your blog? You are getting as bad as me. Snap out of it, man. If you run out of songtitles for your posts, give me a shout and I will be happy to oblige.

What about Lena Martell's 'One Day At A Time' as the title for the post? After all it was the hidden track on the Scottish Patient's gratis CD.

12:20 pm  
Blogger Reidski said...

Ardeelee, welcome to my bloggy hell. You are free to join all the nutters who post comments here and suffer the consequences. But never, absolutely never, criticise a Scottish football (that will be soccer to you) club by the name of Glasgow Celtic. We don't put up with such things around here, okay?
Darren, you don't really think we'll beat the Ghastly Govan Gonads tomorrow night, do you?
And, yes, I must get round to putting another post on - such as to brag about how the boy's side have now won five games on the trot - the latest being a 7-1 victory on Sunday morning. Or maybe I'll even mention getting along to the Den last Friday night to watch a stupendous 2-0 victory over Sunderland from the comforts of an executive box. I would like to title it The Absolute Game, but, of course, that's an album rather than a song!

7:20 pm  
Blogger timesnewroman said...

Just waiting on I Ludicrous on the football song front. Was getting worried there that the big fuck up was something to do with having chopped all your fingers off with a sharp knife on account of preparing sandwiches because the cooker was still busted. Or has it been fixed?

P.S Penalty my arse! Not a Penalty my arse. You are leaking goals by the way.

10:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home