Monday, January 21, 2008

Blown Away *

Hey, I was going to give all this blogging crap up, but thought I'd stay loyal for a bit more. Well, blogging has brought me loads of fucking happiness and love - all in the form of JJ. I've also met stupendous people as a result - I was reminded of this yesterday when I was sat in the same Wetherspoon's pub in Charing Cross Road yesterday where I bored Darren a few years back.

Anyway, I've been wanting to blog about seeing Glengarry Glen Ross (twice) but didn't get round to it. I've been wanting to blog about seeing 39 Steps in Northampton last week, which was very very funny, but didn't get round to it. Also hoped to get round to blogging about going to see Cabaret tomorrow night (where shall we eat beforehand, JJ?), but haven't had the time or inclination to.

Also wanted to mention some great sounds I've been listening to lately.

Soulsavers - It's Not How Far You Fall, It's The Way You Land
Robert Wyatt - Comicopera
Proclaimers - Life Without You
Modest Mouse - don't know the name of it
Hot Chip - don't know the name of it
LCD Soundsystem - don't know the name of it
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Mekons - Natural
Gay For Johnny Depp - Blood: The Natural Lubricant
Suicide - Suicide
British Sea Power - British Sea Power
British Sea Power - The Decline of British Sea Power.

Also, some great books have been devoured.

George Pelecanos's The Night Gardener - absolutely beautiful novel. The name of this blog hints that I've got quite a thing for Pelecanos and this book will prove why. Fucking stunning.

Harlan Coben's The Woods - thought it a bit derivative at first as it hints at one or two of his other stories, but still quite a romp. And he'a a fucking good writer.

JM Coetzee's Disgrace - stupendous, but not a pleasant read by any means. Morally complex (and it's not often I'll come out with bollocks like that) and not easy to work out.

Iain Banks's Whit - a lovely lovely story about a Stirlingshire religious cult. The description of the main protagonist leaving the cult on an inflated inner tube and getting all the way to Edinburgh by river and sea is a delight. Don't understand why I didn't get round to reading this when it came it out.


* The Pixies

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Frank Partisan said...

You are behind in movies.



Regards.

5:48 am  
Blogger J.J said...

I can help there Renegade - he saw the Kite Runner.

Second what you say about the NIght Gardener. What a fantastic book.

8:31 am  
Blogger Imposs1904 said...

Don't you dare give up blogging. I'm also going through a fallow period at the moment blogging wise - lots of posts, fuck all content - but I'm hoping that I'll once again regain my blogging mojo.

Oh, and I owe you a pint from three years ago. ;-)

PS - What's the fascination with LCD Soundsystems? I don't get it, and have decided to retreat back to 1981 until you lot move onto the next 'this year's model'. ;-)

6:12 am  
Blogger Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Awh, don't give up. i've had moments of feeling unable to blog (though I suspect accompanied by far more guilt about NOT doing it than you would -rightly - ever let arise).

your music selections sound pretty darn okay by me. keep enjoying life!

1:45 pm  
Blogger Reidski said...

Ren - I'm well behind on the movie front. Going to put that right this weekend by seeing Before The Devil Knows You're Dead. Either that or some art house bollocks at the Renoir.

JJ - I'm sure there are many better films than the Kite Runner doing the rounds. And, yes, what a fantastic book!

Darren - I'm not giving it up. And don't agree with you about the content as you've posted some really interesting stuff over recent months. I've not left any comments cos I simply couldn't be arsed! And you owe me more than one pint! And LCD Soundsystem are ace - not debate!

Lisa - I'm not and now I wish I hadn't mentioned it as I don't like to sound like one of those who says they are going to give up only as a ruse to invite comments. (Wait, you've sussed me out!)

2:05 pm  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

Jesus! You sound like a proper culture vulture. Before you know it you'll be on one of those late night Arts-chat programmes waxing lyrical about your latest literary encounters. KEEP ON BLOGGING!

3:17 pm  
Blogger Holly said...

Glad you're not giving up! Got any fundraising ideas by any chance? Oh, and will you sponsor me..peleeease?! x

10:36 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home