Thursday, June 14, 2007

TV *

Has anyone been watching the truly terrible Seven Ages of Rock series? I've watched two of them so far and that, quite frankly, has been two too many.

Last week was punk, which, if you didn't know, consisted entirely of New York and London. Iggy Pop invented this phenomenon, if you were to take the film-makers' version of events, and was then followed by the Ramones (a mere 7 years or so after Iggy first released an album), Television and Patti Smith. Quite independently of this, the Damned, Sex Pistols and the Clash came along cos they didn't like people with long hair. Ooops, nearly forgot, the Slits were the only women who played this strange new music in London, so they also got a quick mention.

I watched the heavy metal edition last night - it was so brilliantly executed (wait, that should have been the researchers for this series who should be executed). Heavy metal was invented by Black Sabbath cos Tony Iommi had the tip of his finger cut off and so, the device he used to play his guitar first made that heavy metal sound. You think I'm joking? This is what the programme makers claimed. So there was Black Sabbath then Deep Purple and then ... Judas Priest!! Nothing before and nothing inbetween these three bands. Judas Priest were then the first people ever in the history of the world to wear leather clothes and metal studs and stuff. Then up pops Motley Crue and then there is nothing until Metallica are invented cos the singer hates Motley Crue (even though the singer says a Motley Crue album was so good that it forced his own band to change their style). Oh, and Metallic used to have long hair - wowfuckingwee!

This all made for worst music documentaries I have ever seen - including one I saw about the Manchester music scene once which didn't mention Joy Division or New Order or the Smiths.

Such was my criticism of this garbage, the boy, who I watched last night's with, told me to "shut up" on more than one occasion. I, on the other hand, thought that he would have made a better job out of making both programmes and by doing so with his hands tied behind his back.

Next week is stadium rock, which, apparently, ended cos no-one could top U2's stage shows from the early '90s. You think I'm joking? Then watch it! Alternatively, you could try washing your hair.

* Flying Lizards

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Andrew Brown said...

Great concept ruined by poor execution.

Just wait until we get to "indie", Smiths/REM/Oasis/Blur. Boring.

Fell asleep in the middle of the Heavy Metal stuff and doubt I'll be all that worried if I miss anything else.

Such a shame.

1:50 pm  
Blogger John said...

Birmingham factory accident spawns musical genre. Class.

And Ska was invented when Prince Buster's drummer got hiccups one night in Catford.

2:56 pm  
Blogger Lisa Rullsenberg said...

I'm suddenly much less bothered that I have missed these in favour of watching CSI:NY...

6:17 pm  
Blogger timesnewroman said...

I forced thewife to watch the Hendrix one, I caught some of the punk one but thought it was about New York cos it was sandwiched in between other New York Stuff during the BBC's New York week. It was watchable enough, interesting for the early Ramones and Television.

To be fair Black Sabbath were the epitome of heavy metal whether they invented it or not. I loved them as a 14 year old and still actually quite like them.

I may skip the stadium rock one though! Pass the sick bag

8:42 pm  
Blogger Reidski said...

Andrew - it was a good concept. And I don't think I'll be tuning in for the indie one - then again, I probably won't be able to resist having a peek.

John - yes, it was as crass as that!

Lisa - you've missed nothing at all mate!

TNR - it was an easy mistake to make thinking it was about NY. And I have no problem with Black Sabbath per se, in fact I announced to the boy that I must go out and buy (download, that means) their early stuff, but they did not invent any fucking musical genre. Musical genres evolve from existing and past musical genres. The boy castigated me on hearing this and said something along the lines about "I bet you say that all modern music originated from the blues - why don't you just say that all music has evolved from Greensleeves, in fact?" Cheeky wee bugger!

10:00 pm  
Blogger Rob said...

The boy must be channeling Richard Thonmpson, who decided when Playboy asked him for his ten greatest songs of the millennium figured that everyone else would start at about 1950, so gave them a list beginning with "Sumer is icumen in". Playboy didn't use it, but he later expanded it into an evening's live act and a CD.

11:47 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The punk one was fairly predictable but still entertaining enough in a nostalgia kinda way. By the way, this Friday (22nd June) Vic Godard and Subway Sect are playing in Edinburgh's Citrus Club. Not to be missed.

10:26 am  
Blogger Reidski said...

Rob - sorry for the delay in responding. Richard Thompson - now there's a musician whose whole back catalogue, rather than just have one track (something about a 1950 caddilac/chevrolet or something) on a compilation my brother done for me some years ago.

Kev - very predictable indeed. As for that gig, be in town the next day so pity I'm missing it. Would love to hear them do Ambition. And would definitely love to hear TV21 doing Snakes and Ladders - saw them supporting the Skids in Ayr many many many years ago. Hope to see you on Sunday or Monday night, btw.

6:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home