Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Computer World *

It seems like months ago when I received the wonderful gift of a computer. At the time I was given it, I didn't have a landline phone and, ergo no internet access, ergo get landline and, I thought, ergo internet access. But my ignorance of computers didn't help at this stage. So I then decide to get broadband, which I could get free from Orange as I pay them enough every month to get this free service. Weeks of waiting then follow and then I get the broadband equipment. It's not compatible with my computer as computer, strangely, doesn't have an ethernet port (at this stage, I don't know what I'm talking about and know nothing of these terms). So I visit three different shops in different parts of London for an adaptor which will let my plug my ethernet connection into a USB port. I get one, but it doesn't work. I give up, particularly as I have parental duties to carry out. That was last week and that was after many phone calls to Orange, all of whose staff, I have to say were extremely helpful.

On to this week, I decide, after talking to one or two people - the boy's mum and JJ - to persevere and try and try again. I did. This morning. All connected up. After four more calls to Orange technical support - those people really are nice and helpful to the ignorant folk like me who call them.

I know then have broadband internet access. This has its downside as many of my free evenings and weekends will now be spent writing really really boring posts such as this.

Now, I'm off to meet JJ and then we go and see Richard Hawley. Talking of which, he was very good on Later last week, but wasn't a patch on the Killers, who weren't a patch on Lucinda Williams - okay, then, they were all fucking brilliant.

* Kraftwerk

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lot of 'ergos' in there, mate! Congrats on finally getting hooked up. Gonna waste a lot of time on fantasy league crap....queue the music background, crowd singing 'Fields of Athenry'....

10:59 pm  
Blogger John said...

Increased blogging from Reidski? I'll believe it when I see it.

10:47 am  
Blogger Reidski said...

Marc - yes, sorry, my ergonomics went mental there. I used to do that fantasy league thing, but didn't bother this season - really just couldn't be bothered.

John - you'll see it ... eventually!

Simon - I'm such a fucking dork when it comes to anything other than writing letters and e-mails on computers. I was getting to the really pathetic stage of being angry, upset and, really sad to say, depressed, just because I couldn't work out how to make the internet connections work.

11:08 pm  
Blogger timesnewroman said...

You could probably have got an ethernet card, attached it to the motherboard, put it all back together carefully, ensuring that you had eartehd yourself first and then fucked about a bit with the bios and I am sure after several attempts could have got it going. Then again you are on now so welcome back to the superfast world of modern day blogging.

1:12 pm  
Blogger Voroshilov said...

You could have called me, man. My geekiness is just sat here going to waste.

8:57 pm  
Blogger Voroshilov said...

erm and me

8:58 pm  
Blogger Reidski said...

Jim - your first sentence could be in Chinese for all I know. As to your second, cheers.

Simon - I'll take advantage of your geekiness in the future, no doubt of that!

Voroshilov - and yours.

3:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home