Saturday, November 04, 2006

Go Down Gambling *

At the beginning of the football season, I was tempted to put a bet on the winners of all four English divisions.

Chelsea were the obvious punt for the Premiership. Who for the other four divisions, though?
Birmingham looked to have much the same team from the side who were relegated and they must be considered seriously strong contenders for the Championship - they have been proved to be the best of the relegated sides (so far).
Tranmere, it has to be said, have been in that third division for too long and they should be getting themselves back into the second tier sometime soon.
And Wycombe we all feel sorry for (or we should) as they were looking such favourites to go up last season before manager John Gorman had to look after his dying wife.

So, they were my tips. But I didn't get round to putting my bet on cos my finances were not looking too hot at that particular time. By the way, odds on the accumulator were about 120/1. So I wait a few weeks and they are all looking quite good in their respective leagues with the exception of Birmingham who are on a run of too many draws and a few defeats and a lot of calls for Steve Bruce to resign. Reidski then looks at the odds again for the bet and they have improved considerably. So I put the bet on - but think that each-way may be the more sensible option this time. So me and mate at work go halvers on a fiver each way. As I write, it's looking good:

Chelsea - in second place three points behind the leaders Manchester United and with a game in hand.
Birmingham - fourth place and three points behind leaders Cardiff.
Tranmere - fifth place and a whopping nine points behind leaders Nottingham Forest (but only a measly two points behind the team in second - and I can't be fucked looking that up right now).
Wycombe - third place and five points behind leaders Lincoln.

If they all finish in the top three (or top two in Chelsea's case) then it's a blow out weekend with many drinks and a couple of lovely meals with JJ.
If they all win their respective titles, then it's a holiday for JJ and I to somewhere nice and sunny - I fancy Italy myself.

Roll on May next year!!

* Blood, Sweat & Tears

10 Comments:

Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

And I thought you were a Millwall fan! Where's yer loyalty? Tranmere over The Lions?

9:39 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank fuck you didn't put anything on Celtic/Benefica, that seemed a sure thing. Or did you......

9:52 pm  
Blogger Holly said...

Come on Plymouth!!

1:03 pm  
Blogger Holly said...

They lost yesterday to Birmingham, their first defeat in 7 games!!

1:05 pm  
Blogger Reidski said...

YP - I am very loyal....to my wallet!

Marc - yes, thank fuck for that. We are so out of that one, won't even finish third for a UEFA Cup place - Scottish cunts!

Moo - ha ha ha, beat by the Brummies! But your lot are doing extremely well!

1:48 pm  
Blogger J.J said...

I fancy Italy too!

Come on Chelsea, Birmingham, Tranmere and Wycombe!!!!

3:00 pm  
Blogger Martin said...

Not that I begrudge you both a nice holiday but I'll let you have Blues finishing third and losing in the play-offs.

And Chelsea second behind Villa.

Isle of White's looking good.

12:56 pm  
Blogger Reidski said...

Martin - we shall be going to Italy, which means you will just have to put up with gloating from the blue side of the city.

And "Chelsea second behind Villa" - what a great thought, for any other season, of course.

3:44 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"And Chelsea second behind Villa."

That should read, 'And Chelsea second behind Spurs.'

Yeah, right! In my dream world....

4:49 pm  
Blogger Reidski said...

marc - dream on, indeed!

9:25 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home