Tuesday, April 12, 2005

The Longer You Wait *

I wish I could say that the longer you wait, the better it will get, but....I'm afraid to say it will no doubt be the same old crap.

Work stuff is well behind me, but I still feel bad about it. I'm now all but banned from feeling sorry for myself in the office and being forced to do some work instead - not a bad idea, I think.

Well, what have I been doing since my last post all those weeks ago?

First up, is a mention of the boy's football team winning the under-12s League Cup after what could only be described as an amazing final. The boy's side took the lead shortly before the half-time whistle after a very tentative opening from both sides. The opposition equalised midway through the second period when the ref gave a very dodgy indirect free-kick in the boy's team's penalty area, deciding that what was really meant as a hoof anywhere on or off the pitch, but which the keeper got hold of, was really a pass back. A tap and one of their kids blasted an unstoppable shot into the net. That's how it finished at the full-time whistle, despite the boy's team having all the possession and missing a couple of clear-cut chances. So, into extra-time it goes and the boy's team (with the boy having been subbed by this time) still enjoying all the play, but failing to convert their chances, while the small number of opportunities that came the opposition's way were easily handled by the defence. Still, it remains at 1-1 at half-time in extra time and, with only 10 minutes to go, it looks like we're having penalties. The collective nerves of our fans are getting well frayed by this time. But, out they come for a last effort, with two or three of the better players now looking shattered and drained after running themselves ragged in the beautiful sunshine. But, wow, these boys are impressive. A huge breath from all and they totally overpower the other side, going all out for victory, passing the ball around excellently and motoring forward. They get another goal after some great team work and then a superb solo effort from one of the lads, ignoring four of his team-mates who are screaming for the ball but are actually all in an offside position, who takes on four of five before slotting home past the keeper. YES, go on ya beauty! These boys are seriously good and, if they could only play like this every week, then nothing could stop them.

So they take care of second top of the league for the cup game only to come up against top of the league team in a shield competition seven days later. They play even better than they did in the cup and win 3-1 in a style of play which reminded me of Ajax and Holland and total football in the early '70s (well, I may exaggerate here, but I'm sure you can all understand how chuffed us parents can get on such occasions!).

In between these games of football is a trip to home town to see family, for boy to say hello to his little cousins and for me to pay visit to tnr and thewife to drink them out of house and home - wow, that Havana Club to round the night off was pretty special!

So, it was back to work on Monday morning and my first trip to the gym for around three weeks at lunchtime today.

I've just noticed, by the way, that Blogger isn't allowing me to put links on here or do anything other than put plain text in my post - has something happened recently that I should know about?


*Richmond Fontaine - a great product of Portland, Oregon, who have a new album coming out in the next few weeks.

4 Comments:

Blogger Imposs1904 said...

Welcome back Reidski.

I've missed your postings.

2:15 am  
Blogger Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Indeed, it is good to have you back. I got a real buzz of the emotion felt at the football match. Didn't have any probs myself with links on blogger: momentary glitch (they get a lot of those!)

9:40 am  
Blogger John said...

Wonderful post, Reidski. Good to see you on top form.

Reminds me of my own glory days, Birmingham Boys League, 1975, coats for goalposts, etc. etc.

Can't beat Havana Club. Better by far than that Bacardi crap.

Welcome back to the land of the blogging.

10:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, good to have you back in Blogland. However, your site would be improved by regular postings of photographs of yourself going about your daily business and I would also welcome your views on the Papal conclave.

9:48 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home