Saturday, March 19, 2005

I Fought The Law

I have had a policy since I started this blog that I would never mention who I worked for and would never mention my work. Well . . . I'm biting my tongue (or should that be fingers?) tonight! You see, I've been in the High Court today and the team that I was a part of won a great and significant victory which means that a particular group of workers can take strike action this weekend.
Before I go on, let me make it clear to those who do not know me personally that I am not a solicitor and I am not an elected official of any trade union organisation, but merely (if that is the right word) an administrator. Nevertheless, mere administrator maybe, but it was my written testimony which the judge referred to (in fact, the only witness statement for the defendants to be referred to or, even, lodged) in his deliberations and his ultimate judgement.
Anyway, the point being - a group of workers want to take action, Reidski is part of the team which administers this request and carries out the decision taken by the "high heid yins". The boss class decides to mount legal challenge. Reidski's employers decide to mount robust defence. Defence Q.C. and solicitor put Reidski in difficult position when telling him prior to hearing (which we have less than 24 hours to organise and which comes less than 48 hours prior to action by workers) that our case is weak and that maybe we should take up class enemies offer to contemplate suspending action and return to court next week. Reidski thinks: "I cannot make these fucking decisions, but, on second thoughts, surely the workers would think the organisation to be weak if we do not defend what we think is a defendable situation?" So Reidski tries to phone all sorts of people back at HQ and . . . no-one answers their fucking phone. Reidski pauses. Reidski thinks. Reidski says to QC: "If they are offering something, does that mean that they are not sure of their own case?" QC says: "Possibly." Reidski does not want to take any decisions at all at this stage so pushes QC and accompanying solicitor to give their learned advice. "Let's go for it," say both and Reidski thinks: "Thank fuck for that." Decision taken out of my hands and head.
So, in we go and, although I am a complete and utter virgin in such things I think: "This judge is okay." Class enemy keeps saying things like: "It's the defendant's case that...." But the judge continuously says: "Let the defendants say what their case is, I want to hear your case and your arguments as to why the law has been breached."
So we win and working people can disrupt capitalism this weekend.
It made the disruption to my plans for the day all the more worthwhile. I started work at 8am and the rest of the day was going to be: 11am - finish work and head to gym. 12.30 - Camden Centre for London Real Ale Festival. Rest of day - get pissed.
My actual day was: 8am - start work. 8.45 - visit solicitors (during which I asked if I would be needed if there was going to be a court hearing and was told I wouldn't be as my witness statement would suffice). 11am - get back to work (during which I told colleagues I would catch up with them at the beer festival). 12.30 - back to solicitors (during which I asked if I would be needed to appear at court and was told that I should in case the barrister had any questions to put to me, but that this would be a very brief visit). 2pm - go to "Royal Courts of Justice" (that's the High Court to most of us). Between 2.30pm and 3.30pm - hang about and consider class enemy's offers. 3.40pm - go into hearing. 5.50pm - judge goes out to consider judgement. 6.25 - summing up by judge begins. 7.00pm - workers win and Reidski heads for pub.
It was a mental day, a bizarre day and a momentous day in terms of the judge not questioning anything to do with our side and our actions whatsoever, but asking many many many questions of the class enemy.

This post is entitled I Fought The Law, but really it should be called "I didn't break the law by my administrative actions" - but that wouldn't make for the title of a song, would it?

And, finally, don't anyone ask who I work for cos I ain't tellin!

5 Comments:

Blogger timesnewroman said...

Welcome back you Class Warrior you! Congrats on your impressive victory. I'll look forward to finding out in more detail what it's about.

Haven't you finished that book yet?

1:22 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't remember the time it was when you phoned me at the office and were unforgivably rude. The fact that you were under pressure is no excuse. I was trying to help you, maaaaan.

9:06 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't remember the time it was when you phoned me at the office and were unforgivably rude. The fact that you were under pressure is no excuse. I was trying to help you, maaaaan.

9:06 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't remember the time it was when you phoned me at the office and were unforgivably rude. The fact that you were under pressure is no excuse. I was trying to help you, maaaaan.

11:47 am  
Blogger Imposs1904 said...

Sorry Ardeelee and Reidski, it slipped my mind in all the social whirl that overtakes my imagination at times.

All I can do to make up for it is write in capital letters: BUY THE DEARS ALBUM 'NO CITIES LEFT'. It is absolutely brilliant - and you can thank me later

11:39 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home