Wednesday, January 26, 2005

An Ode To No One *

I was walking from the bus to home this afternoon when I had an unbelievable ache for music. That may sound weird to some, but I'm sure others know what I mean. You know, when you really, really, really need to hear music. So, what I done, rather than what I had intended to do - which was shopping at Sainsbury's, pop into JJB Sports for cheap loungeabout clothers, get another pint, etc etc - was get indoors and play extremely loud music. This included Devo, Roxy Music, Kate Bush (with one of the best albums ever in Hounds of Love) and a 1960 recording of Madame Butterfly, which I regard as one of the most beautiful and best pieces of music ever put on viny, cassette or disc. The soprano Victoria de los Angeles takes the title role in this recording and a question drafted into my head: Didn't she die recently? The answer is: Yes! It is sad, but true. De los Angeles, a quite amazing singer, died just a couple of weeks ago.
For an obit, try this. The particular recording of Madame Butterfly that I have just been listening to, which I requested as a Christmas pressie about 15 years ago, is an astounding album of music and singing - very emotional, too.
So, why is Reidski posting during daylight hours? He has been to the hospital for yet another check on the ongoing swallowing issue (posts passim), in which the doctor found.........nothing wrong!!!!! A few months back I had a barium swallow, an endoscopy (camera down the throat) and no problem found. Today was the ear, nose and throat department of the hospital with a visit to a doctor wearing a (urghhhhh) green velvet jacket who put camera up my nose and down my throat (all at the one go, by the way) and felt my neck and surrounding areas. Appointment in six months time and, meanwhile? Reidski has to put up with not eating unless pint of water accompanies said eating.
On way back from hospital - and before the ache of music came upon me - I dropped into Weatherspoons pub in Lewisham for a pint and lunch. I should say that this is definitely not normal behavour for Reidski. Notwithstanding my attraction for alcohol, I never, and I mean never, go into pubs midweek midday. But today I did. And what did I discover? Pub fucking packed out is what I discovered. Three pints later I left feeling totally bewildered as to why that many people should be in a pub during the day during the week. It was weird, maaaan.
Anyway, if you want to cheer up, you could do no worse than take a look at Inveresk Street Ingrate - his last two posts have been totally hilarious!

* Smashing Pumpkins from the sublime Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have told you that your throat problem is in your head you big loony. When will they wise up and refer you to a psychiatrist? On the subject of packed out pubs in the daytime, I think this is a characteristic of Weatherspoon's for some reason. Don't they do cheap 2 for the price of 1 lunches for OAPs or summat? I don't know. The one in Ilford has a rep for being the hangout of losers and dolies.

4:34 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I resent the "dolies" remark, but, yes, I'm a complete loser!
And I came away from doctor in green velvet jacket thinking: "yes, it definitely is in my head!"

4:37 pm  
Blogger timesnewroman said...

Anonymous is so astute! The swallowin' is in yer heid! Also my 80+ year old uncle is a regular at lunchtime in wetherspoon shops. Apparwntly they do real ale and lunches for pensioners at knockdown prices.

P.S. Music Aches, huh worst kind!

8:34 pm  
Blogger Imposs1904 said...

Hello Reidski,

Thanks for the kind words. Mmm, do you owe me money or something? ;-)

We must have that pint sometime. Now that I've ventured down to South East London once, I'm prepared to risk it again. ;-)

Hope you enjoy the Gang of Four gig the 'morrow night. Let me know if 'I Found That Essence Rare' is as brilliant live as it is on record.

9:50 pm  
Blogger Reidski said...

Ah cannae wait - and, yes, pop over and we'll catch a game and a pint in one of the many locals I have.

10:05 pm  
Blogger Mike said...

Hi, I seem to be a bit lost. I thought I was getting somewhere looking for information about home fitness equipment review and I ended up here. Well, great job on home fitness equipment review. I have a similar interest in home fitness equipment review. Keep up the good work.

8:35 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home