Wednesday, November 28, 2007

New Brat In Town *

Isn't great when a right dive of a pub gets a refurbishment and is tranformed into a really really nice boozer? Nice decor, nice furniture, nice choice of food, an excellent looking listings for future gigs (Subway Sect on Saturday night) and a half decent selection of beer (not too hot on the bitters or real ales and no wine by the bottle). Ladies and gentlemen, I give you ... ta ra, The Amersham Arms. A most impressive transformation for what was a real flea pit to a place which is great to go along at any time of day for a relaxing pint or two. And really nice people behind the bar. Well, that is, there were until Monday night!

Here I have been banging on to folks about how nice the Amersham is these days and that I couldn't wait to take JJ in there for a drink. Monday night sees us with our first real opportunity to do so. I go to the bar and I'm served by the most miserable and rude people I have ever had the misfortune to be served by in my 27 years of going to pubs. A truly hideous person. So it was drink drinks and leave and let me ponder whether I ever enter the place's doors again - apart from Saturday night, of course, if JJ fancies going to see Subway Sect! I really don't want to come across anyone like this in there again!

*The Auteurs

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What happened? No details? Guess it's back to Marquis of Granby for you lot!

Nicked this mini review of the place:

"At 6.30 there were no tables free, so we propped ourselves at the bar. Service was fine at this point, but an hour or two later, when the place had started to fill up, the wait at the bar was really unacceptable - all because for some reason they have decided to offer novelty cocktails, with copious amounts of crushed ice (for which each drink requires a trip to the blender), hand sprinkled mint, swizzle sticks and sparklers!! Yes, all good fun, but I watched one guy (a red-headed young chap) spend literally 10 minutes making 2 cocktails, while a crowd looked on waiting patiently for their simple pints of beer. A nasty atmosphere was beginning to form, and I heard another group discussing going to the Walpole where they could "actually get served"!

3:46 pm  
Blogger Martin said...

Don't miss Subway Sect for God's sake! Take your own booze in.

5:02 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, go on Reidski, give us the blow by blow details of your encounter with this miserable person ... I went back to the pub we went to last night later on (Ship Tavern was packed) and it had filled up a bit and I had to wait to order while one member of staff was made to describe each item on the food menu to a discerning American tourist and the other one faffed around putting washing up liquid in the glass washer. Grrrrr.

9:16 am  
Blogger Reidski said...

Marc - nothing really happened other than she was a miserable and rude person. No specifics. And that review says it all. Strange how first impressions of a place don't always pan out. My first impression of the Amersham Arms following its reopening was that it is totally fab, but, now, I'm not so sure. There are a few things which just aren't right about the place.

Martin - we missed it. Darn!

Messalina - grrrr, indeed. And see my follow-up story for more grrrrs about restaurant and bar chubes!

1:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home