Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Last Night*

Went to Arcade Fire gig at Ally Pally last night - WOW! What a fucking set, that was!

There was JJ, the ex, the boy and me. For various reasons, we missed both support acts. It was pissing down with rain. Ally Pally is a shit music venue (you can't see the band - the stage really should be two or three feet higher).

But, hey, what a sound. And what a performance Arcade Fire put on. Can't think of a more energetic band on stage in my 29 years of going to gigs. Can't think of a more amazingly beautiful set of songs to be heard live. Lovely way in which they segued Neon Bible into a cover of Age of Consent, by the way. Brilliant way in which they thrashed out every song. The visual backdrop helped those of us who were toward the back of the aptly named Great Hall in this beautiful venue as the set-up does not suit those of us who are below six feet six. And the generally appreciatiave and knowledgeable crowd diminished that most annoying of incidents at gigs - those cunts who talk all the way through - what is that all about? (a campaign really has to be started to get any idiots who talk too much at gigs thrown out). For reasons known to me and mine, a tear rolled down my cheek when No Cars Go was heard, but I then shook myself together and joined in the singing.

This was an amazing sound, an amazing set, an amazing live band.

Ok, I was rather nervy about the ex joining JJ and me for the evening, but I think it all worked out very well. Except for my incessant nonsense during the car journey home, of course!

JJ and I go to see Interpol at Ally Pally next week - think we'll try to get there early and get down the front!

* The Strokes

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Frank Partisan said...

When you said Interpol, I thought you meant INTERPOL.

7:08 am  
Blogger Martin said...

Sounds like a great a night, I really must get round to seeing Arcade Fire in a proper venue at some point.I do seem to find myself nearer and nearer the front at gigs these days because of the incessant chatter at the back. Is it getting worse? Is gig ettiquette going out the window or is it first-timers who haven't been told to shutthefuckup yet?

9:23 am  
Blogger Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Glad you had a grand time - was thinking of you: and with "No Cars Go" in mind, the song has always made me choke up because there is just something apolocalyptically breathtaking about its crescendo. So, SO pleased that you enjoyed the gig. They are a stunning live band (and yes: death - or at least EXIT and BANNING - to all those who go to gigs to talk!!!)

9:24 am  
Blogger John said...

"Incessant nonsense on the way home"?

I take it that by that you mean they were ripping the piss out of you.

10:16 am  
Blogger J.J said...

John, he was SO embarrasing on the way home I was just trying to pretend I had never met him before in my life!

10:31 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home