Thursday, January 12, 2006

A Picture From Life's Other Side *

This is what I'm doing tonight and it is a return visit to the area I was in yesterday and, I may have mentioned this, had a particularly wonderful time:

The Sohemian Society

Presents a talk by Brycchan Carey on

Olaudah Equiano and the St Giles Blackbirds: Black London in the 18th Century.

Olaudah Equiano was the first leader of Britain's Black Community. His autobiograpy Interesting Narrative was referred to in the House of Commons by William Wilberforce during his campaign to abolish slavery.

In 2000 Westminster Council unveiled a plaque to Olaudah's residence at 73 Riding House Street.

The St Giles Blackbirds were freed slaves who had fought for the British during the American War Of Independence. On arriving in London they became part of the dispossessed and poor around the St Giles-in-the-Fields area of London.

Venue: Upstairs at the King and Queen, 1 Foley Street, W1 - just behind Middlesex Hospital. Nearest tubes Oxford Circus and Tottenham Court Road
Date 12th January. Time 7.30 pm
Admission £5 (half price students and Oaps)


* Woody Guthrie - his guitar killed fascists, you know!

8 Comments:

Blogger Reidski said...

I neither think of myself as important nor very intellectual - but, of course, I'm also not the one pretending to be a dog!

3:46 pm  
Blogger The Blind-Winger Jones said...

Ah, go back to pissing up lamposts and harassing the postman Edog.

4:37 pm  
Blogger McManus said...

Once again, Reidski, my apologies. We're trying to undo damage caused by stereotypes like this jerk all the time.

5:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah'd jeest Begbie that last CUNT!

11:40 pm  
Blogger Reidski said...

Oh, this blogging business is totally mental, not only is McManus now commenting, but these assholes keep coming back. What it says to me is that they are really unsecure and insecure and are so frightened of the future. If that is the case, then, I hope their emotions are short-lived and they quite quickly get taken out when the US working class rise up and gain what is rightfully theirs.

And what's all that "burn" business from that bloke who thinks he's a dog?????

12:12 am  
Blogger Arielle said...

Just in case you are interested, I finally posted to my blog today after the long break.

Also, I completely understand the frustration with what draws comments and attention from readers. I found a blog written by a housewife in Utah somewhere that literally describes her day and her bjs of her husband etc etc and she has tons and tons of readers. She also got tons of comments to a picture of her cleaveage.

Ella

7:10 am  
Blogger McManus said...

Apologies for posting, Reidski.

Frankly, I doubt very much that chairman edog is an American at all. He/She is clearly such an over-the-top parody of provincial narcissism that I suspect it's just a wind-up.

10:18 am  
Blogger Reidski said...

McManus, yes, that thought crossed my mind also. I have him down as some sort of spotty (and sorry for all you spotty people out there) IT twerp in Birmingham.

11:38 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home