Saturday, December 24, 2005

Parklife *

Had to get out of the house today, so took a walk - and a superb walk it turned out to be in a lovely bright day - up to Blackheath and into Greenwich Park from where I stood just outside the Observatory and took in one of the most beautiful views of this most beautiful city. From there, I sauntered down to the market, said hello to a stall-holder I know who sells the most gorgeous printed fabrics for the likes of pillow cases, lamp-shades and dish towels and then popped into a wonderful music shop. If you're ever in Greenwich and think there's something missing from your back catalogue, this is the place to be. I purchased (for the grand total of £21):

Forever Changes by Love
Mummer by XTC
Arthur or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire by The Kinks
Easter by Patti Smith

Walked back home via pub to find out that 'er indoors has a major tummy bug (no, I'll spare you the details). The boy is just on the right side of hyper-excitement to make the evening really nice and he's just gone to bed. His mum and her mum are also in bed and Reidski's up playing Santa. On that score, the boy is now 12 and doesn't believe anymore, although it has taken him a few years for the final confirmation. For the last two or three years when he has asked us of the existence of Santa, we have told him that it's what he believes that's the important thing and he's really understood what that means. But, a month or so ago, he approached 'er indoors and said that she must tell him "the absolute truth." So she told him and the boy stood there for a brief few moments and, according to his mum, tears welled up in his eyes and gulps were taken before he bounded off by saying: "Yeh, mum, I knew that anyway." I think we can call it a rights of passage moment.

Anyway, he's still getting a stocking filled with pressies at his bedside as well as having pressies waiting for him at the bottom of the tree.

On that note, I'm signing off. I'll be popping in and out of the blog over the next week or so, but, for now, merry Christmas to everyone who reads my crappy blog - I love you all!


* Blur, of course

4 Comments:

Blogger Frank Partisan said...

Secular Seasons Greetings.

10:18 pm  
Blogger Imposs1904 said...

Merry Christmas Reidski, and if you don't already have it, I have to recommend XTC's 'English Settlement' to you. I think that it is up there with 'Skylarking' as the best XTC album.

2:15 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Shcottisssh Christmas,
Hooray, you bought the Kinks album. fantastic.
Was sitting on t'sofa on Christmas Day watching Doctor Who and thought of you Mr Reidski. You realise we saw David Tennant in A Comedy of Errors years ago. If we were Bono or Bowie, we'd say that we discovered him.

1:16 pm  
Blogger Reidski said...

Renegade and ardeelee: thanks for the greeting from across the Atlantic.

Darren: Also from across the Atlantic - have that one on vinyl and always considered it an absolute classic. I don't have Skylarking, so, next time i'm in Greenwich, I'll spend a fiver on that one.

Voroshilov: Arthur is very splendid indeed. On the Tennant boy, don't you remember me saying at the interval at Comedy of Errors that "that boy's going places. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up playing the part of a bloke in a Tardis-type thing in the next few years?"

9:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home