Saturday, June 30, 2007

Edinburgh Man *

JJ and I had a wonderful few days in Edinburgh last week. Weird to say about the capital city of the country in which I grew up and lived for 23 years, but I don't know the place at all. My visits to the city were strictly for football matches (and my thanks go out to those Hearts fans who used to throw things at us as we approached Tynecastle, much appreciated), a rugby (league) match and, on very rare occasions, the odd demo or two. And, being from the west coast, my ignorant impression was that it was an unfriendly and stuffy. As I say, this was an ignorant impression. What JJ and I found was an amazingly beautiful city, extremely friendly and accessible pubs and bars and a city which is proud of its place in the world without being arrogant (unlike Glasgow, of course). JJ was worried about just how smitten I was with the place and I was tugged on the shoulder more than once when scanning the windows of estate agents and told to turn the page when looking at the jobs section of the local paper. Am I going a bit over the top? Maybe, but it's the first time for nearly 20 years that I've thought that, yes, I could live in Scotland again - but not for the moment!

We had a great time - or didn't you notice - and saw some lovely sights. A highlight for me was our walk up Calton Hill, with its gorgeous views over the city and beyond. And a highlight within this highlight was this structure (got to love it's nickname), which still has me laughing at the whole concept of its creation and in the fact that it remains unfinished. I wonder if anything ever happened to this idea or any others regarding attempts to have it completed?

I am missing Edinburgh and, most of all, I'm missing my time with JJ in Edinburgh. I have a funny feeling that we shall be returning there before too long.

*The Fall

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger gordon said...

How hard is it for us west-coasters to say anything good about Edinburgh?

10:01 am  
Blogger J.J said...

I'm still laughing at idea of the good local folk 200 years ago being 'Disgusted of Edinburgh' over The Disgrace of the unfinished building.

8:16 am  
Blogger timesnewroman said...

"proud of its place in the world without being arrogant (Unlike Glasgow!!!) Friendly People?? Who the fuck are you and what have ye done with Reidski?

8:53 pm  
Blogger Reidski said...

How remiss of me not to answer your comments folks, so...

Gordon - once I experienced the place, it was easy to say something good about it. And I am still rather embarrassed that, at 42, it's the first time I've really seen my capital.

JJ - we did have a great laugh over that one.

TNR - I think we should meet up in Edinburgh and time it for a Hibs v Killie game. Whaddyathink?

11:16 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Edinburgh's Disgrace was called that cos it was never finished to honour those who fought against the french republic.

True Scots supported the ideals of the french republic against the monarchistic warmongering British Empire.

This is why its no disgrace the monument wasnt finished. The only disgrace was that is was started in the first place.

Although its nice to sit on, on a sunny day :-)

NB I'm available for historic tours of old Edinburgh - as told from a patriotic, lefty, Hibee perspective.

11:41 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home