Sunday, March 18, 2007

Something's Got To Give *

Both Jim and Kev will be making their way to Hampden as I write. By 5pm (or 5.30 should it go into extra-time) one of them will be celebrating and one will be well pissed off.

I've always had a soft spot for Killie, being an Ayrshire lad myself. I saw Celtic for the first time at Rugby Park in 1973 and had some fantastic times watching Killie there with Jim and the late Manuel in the 80s when I was getting back into football again after being convinced that there were other things to be done other than trying to change the world (highlight being Manuel spitting on a linesman during a Scottish Cup replay against Hearts - yes, it was a mighty mental night and such behaviour should not be condoned, ha ha).

But, over the last couple of seasons, there has been no more exciting team to watch in Scotland than Hibs and they do deserve to be rewarded. And my visits to watch football in the capital over the years were visits of contrasts. Always hated going to Tynecastle as we Celtic fans were always met with absolute hatred by the locals who would lob stuff at us from their tenement windows as we walked up the Gorgie Road (or whatever road it was) to the game. Ok, we were never welcomed with open arms and hugs and kisses at Easter Road, but the vicious hatred of their city neighbours was never quite in evidence.

I'm just hoping for a good game - and how's that for fence-sitting?

*Beastie Boys

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Kevin Williamson said...

Wisnae me who was pissed off. If I can mind right, and a lot of it is a blur, I was drunk as a skunk celebrating all nite. And have lots of photos and videos on ma blog if Jim wants to relive the occasion ... GGTTH

3:17 pm  
Blogger Reidski said...

Kevin - you certainly did enjoy it. That was Hibs at their very best. Now, if only they could do that every week, then Celtic would not have the title already wrapped up.

9:42 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home