Monday, August 01, 2005

Hey, That's No Way To Say Goodbye *

And it wasn't any way to say goodbye to tnr and the wife. After weekend visit, last night, which had comprised of game of Cranium and then Balderdash (the latter being tnr's all-time favourite), finished with said tnr slumping asleep on my dinner table, but, hey, maybe that is the way to say goodbye. For obvious reasons, neither he, nor thewife (although not a drop of drink passed her lips the previous evening) were up when I set off for work at 7.15am this morning. So, hey, no way to say goodbye. Now that I think about it, there was an obvious reason why thewife of tnr didn't drink last night and that's because she was stoshis drunk on Saturday night when we met up with he delightful Father Bell (contributor to tnr blog) and his partner in a lovely alcove at the stupendous Cork & Bottle wine bar up town. It can sometimes be a bit uncomfortable being the odd one out when very very old friends meet up, but I certainly didn't feel left out in any way on that night and had a great time. Seeing tnr and thewife sound asleep in cab on way home was a particular treat. Not a treat was the fact that thewife of tnr found me asleep on the couch when she got up on Sunday morning.

That was a good day out and so was Sunday afternoon at Spitalfields market.

What is also good is the fact that I've been listening to the Frank & Walters tonight. Who remembers them? Who, in fact, has ever heard of them? Classic early '90s guitar band, hailing from Cork, they made some of the most beautiful pop songs of their day. Tune in and enjoy. What I loved about them was that I could imagine they were singing about people they knew personally and situations which had actually happened. I think this geezer in Happy Busman existed and I like him:

Andy James drives a bus for the lonely
He cheers up everyone everyday
Andy James loves them all like his family
and I think he's sent here by God.


Lovely lovely lyrics. And now I've just put Christy Moore on the turntable - yes, vinyl is making a comeback in the Reidski household.

Oh, and, while I'm listening to music downstairs, upstairs sees the boy and friend watching Napoleon Dynamite - I'm jealous, cos I've been wanting to see this film since it came out and just not got round to it.

Busy as fuck at work today and I will be for the rest of the week - then, IT'S HOLIDAY and Costa Brava here we come. The entourage, minus Reidski, fly off on Saturday and get to Girona where hired car will take them to destination. Reidski, meanwhile, being a shitbag and too frightened to fly, gets train to Barcelona and then bus from there to Platja D'Aro.

* One of the greatest: Leonard Cohen

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What larks had by all! We had a baguette on the way home and both fell asleep on the couch while reading the next day's newspapers [one of the best things about being out late on Saturdays]. Good to meet you, and Mrs. Riedski, must hook up again before the annual tnr visit though. Glad you liked the Cork and Bottle, hopefully I've persuaded you both to invest in an iPod and download a Wishbone Ash album too.

7:26 am  
Blogger Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Me! Me! I remember Frank and Walters! Mark Radcliffe often used to play them on the 10-12 slot! "Fashion Crisis hits New York" - brilliant!
Okay - too many exclamation marks... sorry about that.

9:04 am  
Blogger Reidski said...

Father, yes, hooking up again would be nice - I'll hope to have a wishbone Ash album by that time.
Lisa - Fashion Crisis Hits New York, a classic indeed. And never apologise to me for using too many exclamation marks, I'm top dog for that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10:46 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We talked a lot about music that night, let me know if you remebered anything I mentioned and I'll burn you a disc when you're back.

7:48 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home