Monday, June 06, 2005

Magic *

Why go to bed when you can blog instead? I say, let's blog....

...today I listened to a great CD of tracks I downloaded last night, so I share these tracks with you.

  • Nancy Sinatra: Bang Bang (one of the most atmospheric songs ever produced); These Boots Are Made For Walking (always a favourite of Reidski); Son of a Preacher Man (exellent); You Only Live Twice (lovely orchestral sound).
  • Nancy + Lee Hazelwood: Summer Wine; Leather and Lace; Did You Ever - what a combination these two make. One the one hand, Hazelwood is all smoke and whisky, while Ms Sinatra is sweetness personified - or so I like to think!
  • Scott Walker/Walker Bros: Jackie; No Regrets; Make It Easy On Yourself; The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore; 30th Century Man; Amsterdam - do these tracks need any comment?
  • Richie Havens: Freedom (live at Woodstock); Follow the Drinking Gourd (with Eric Bibby and Linda Tillery); Peace Train - a true guitar hero.
  • CSNY with Joni Mitchell: Woodstock (I was there, maaaaan!).
  • Jefforson Airplane: White Rabbit (not as good as the In Prague version, but a classic nevertheless).
  • Arlo Guthrie: Coming Into Los Angeles (live at Woodstock - always one of my favourites from Woodstock).
  • Nick Cave, Scott Walker and David Sylvain: Jobriath (Walker on top form with the vocals).
  • OMC: How Bizarre.
Now I'm sure you'll all agree that that is one fine selection of music. And, yes, I know that OMC is the odd one out, but what a great pop song it is.


*Hugh Masakela

9 Comments:

Blogger timesnewroman said...

Binge Blogging no less. Welcome back again. Your mention of Lee Hazelwood reminded me of the most amazing record (12" black plastic thing with a hole in the middle and a groove on each side)review ever. Charles Shaar Murray in the N.M.E. reviewing Hazelwood's then new album: Poet, Fool or Bum. Bum!

7:14 am  
Blogger J.J said...

I can hardly get near our computer these days for assorted family members downloading. Mate of mine was made up as he had downloaded 12 different live versions of one Frank Zappa track. Oh god! I know someone who was made up about something like that!

I've gone solo by the way (not that I had exactly had much choice). Dull blog though..no nudity whatsoever.

10:11 pm  
Blogger timesnewroman said...

Ardeelee, Reidski used to be a good catholic boy, went nearly every Saturday to worship, but then he moved away and only gets his religion from TV and the occasional visit home.

7:24 am  
Blogger Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Fab musical selection! Especially the Nancy stuff... ah, she always makes my heart sing a little bit better.

7:58 am  
Blogger timesnewroman said...

I should have said fabby collection of music too Lisa. Particularly the Richie Havens, Arlo Guthrie and Jefferson Airplane (Greatest Band of All Time) Although as Reidski was correct to point out, their version of White Rabbit wasn't quite as "out there" as the legendary In Prague's version, but Slick's vocals were definitely better.

6:49 pm  
Blogger timesnewroman said...

You have been Meme'd by the way

7:25 am  
Blogger Imposs1904 said...

Hello Ardee,

A catholic wedding? Does that mean I would be able to wear my Celtic top if I attended?

12:09 am  
Blogger Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Now, did your blog post persuade the BBC to adopt "Bang Bang" for the Wimbledom promotion...? The track is certainly awesome.

9:37 am  
Blogger andrewljohnson said...

The Needle and the Damage Done.

Andrew

The Darn News
www.darnnews.com

10:32 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home