Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Petty Theft *

Having got on the broadband bandwagon recently, 'er indoors and me decided that the time was right to start finally downloading music. I have just made my first disc and, for some reason, chose Japanese indie/electronic/avant-garde/folk/rock guitar maestro Cornelius's Point as my first download. The first attempt didn't go well as neither of us knew what a m4a file was and downloaded the whole album in that format before finding out that, although it plays on the spanking new, hi-tec computer, our CD player and personal CD player are not quite technologically up to date for this and no sounds came out. So, it was back to the drawing board tonight to download it on mp3 format and, hey presto, it's on the CD as I write and sounding stonking - and includes a wonderful version of Brazil.
Saw him and his band play at the Royal Festival Hall a couple of years back (I think it was on the Robert Wyatt Meltdown line-up) and I was highly impressed. You lot out there should definitely check him out. If I'm not mistaken, I think he also produces, so you may see his name on the inside covers of some of your albums.

* Skip Wilkins & Jill Allen - who they you ask? I don't know!

3 Comments:

Blogger timesnewroman said...

You can put m4a files onto a music cd. I don't think Microshit's Media Player handles them, but Real Player does. You can get it here http://uk.real.com/radiopass/?&src=ZG.uk.idx You can use that to burn CDs. Or if you search for some sort of conversion tool use google and convert m4a to mp3 as a search and you'll find something that will keep them in the compress format so that you can put the entire Clash catalogue on one disc.

7:00 am  
Blogger timesnewroman said...

PS I'm off to download Skip Wilkins and Jill Allen

7:02 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Slightly behind the times (due to my distrust of new things) but I downloaded The Arcade Fire's album. My goodness - blew my away. What a shame they're such a bunch of pricks. But seriously, first album in a long time which gave me a good kicking.

9:25 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home