Friday, August 26, 2005

Oh My Golly *

John at Counago and Spaves (sorry, blogger not allowing links today for some reason - click on his link on the left) brings us news of a possible sighting of Aurora Borealis over Ireland tonight. It made me wonder whether there was any connection with this and the strange events in the skies above south-east London on Wednesday night, which 'er indoors told me about last night . . .

. . . the boy runs into living room around 8pm on Wednesday to tell his mum that there is something strange going in the sky. 'er indoors had, she tells me, thought that there was something strange going on with the light coming from outside. I'll just put in here that it was absolutely pissing down with rain at the time. 'er indoors looks outdoors and thinks weird shit is happening. 'er indoors and the boy go outside where they find half the street also out looking up at the sky, with stunned silence all round, with the exeption of the rain falling. The sight taking everyone's breath away is the "yellow sky", according to 'er indoors, along with dashing lights across the sky, while the clouds are "lower than I've ever seen them in my life," she says. Her first reaction is - and no laughing at the back - there has been a nuclear explosion and "this is the end of the world." Of course, she doesn't pass this information on to the boy, for fear of panicking him into a suicide bid before the facts have been uncovered. At the same time, a helicopter can be heard not far overhead, but, because of the low clouds, remains out of sight. And, a few minutes later, it was all over. No explanation was offered up by any of the witnesses to this strange event and everyone went back indoors.
The only reason for all this that I can think of is that, taking into account the time of the evening (i.e. the sun setting), coupled with the rain, it may simply have been some weird sort of distorted rainbow which couldn't be fully seen as a result of the low clouds. Other than that, I can think of nothing other than the northern lights coming down south for the holidays. Maybe someone out there can offer the real explanation - come on, try!
The reason I didn't witness this incredible sight was that I was ensconced in the pub for a post-five-a-side-drink, nursing my wounds. Getting beat 9-7 was bad enough against a team that we should really have stuffed, but I also felt the full force of the ball hitting me square on the nose from the boot of a really strong bloke who blasted it from about five yards away from me. I temporarily blacked out, before coming to my senses to tend to the blood gushing from my very large honker. It's still a bit tender 48 hours later. And, as for my legs, because I hadn't played for a few weeks as a result of holidays, I can hardly walk while getting up and down the stairs and from the chair is hard work. My whole body aches actually.
As well as an aching body, I've also had to put up with a bruised ego the last day or two as the boy has suddenly decided to take the piss out of my dress sense. This morning he even called his friend into my bedroom at which they both doubled over in laughter due to the fact that my t-shirt was tucked into my trousers!!! "You're such a geek," the boy says, while his friend mimics me by tucking his top into his jeans and chortling that he "can't believe that anyone would choose to look like that." Needless to say, t-shirt is now well out of the trousers and will never reside in those parts ever again!

* The Pixies

2 Comments:

Blogger timesnewroman said...

The old lights in the sky stuff. Reminds me of an occasion in the early nineties, coming home from the pub by taxi on a Thursday evening having had a few pints, looking up in the sky I saw about 5 circles of light moving around the sky. I'm thinking fucking hell, I walk back to the taxi and ask driver if he can see what I see and hexplains that its a new Laser Disco and there was me thinking we had been visited by aliens. Two nights later, twas at the Harbour Arts Centre with Sharpe watching a Band and Comedy Store Night. The 2 comedians were walking to their digs after the event and they too noticed the strange phenomenon and asked us what it was. I regret to this day not replying with the line "Now you must die earthling!"

7:23 pm  
Blogger John said...

Photos of the latest injury, please!

I was playing 7 a side last night and managed to bury a header into an open net from a corner; not really a header, more of a noser.

Celebrations were muted.

And tell the nipper that shirts are to be tucked in this season. I read it in the Observer fashion special last weekend.

11:28 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home